November 08, 2020

Terror of Breakspear Hall: An Other-Worldly Ghost Story


By F.R. Jameson
Horror

๐Ÿ“•My Review


Terror of Breakspear Hall is the second F.R. Jameson book I've read, the first being novella Certain Danger. When this full-length novel landed on my kindle I was really looking forward to getting stuck in. 

View on Amazon.co.uk
Simone and Robin, a brother and sister con-artist duo, target the wealthy and unscrupulous. Following an incident one night outside a casino, they find themselves transported to Breakspear Hall, an imposing gothic mansion in South East London. Once inside, the house doesn't want to let them go. They've made a terrible mistake by entering — one which will have far-reaching consequences for the rest of their lives.

Firstly, I have to say how much I liked the cover art. It's just the right amount of spooky to catch your eye and draw you in. So many self-published books fail at the first hurdle, let down by amateurish covers. Secondly, the story from the point where Simone and Robin enter Breakspear Hall is very good.

If I'm being slightly picky, the first 30% dragged a little and felt disconnected from the rest of the book. The remaining 70% picked up pace and was an imaginative, well-written story. Characterisation was excellent — I thought creepy butler Murkiss was fantastic. Simone, Robin and old man Breakspear felt solid and real too. But it was the twist in the closing chapter which impressed me the most. It's was fab!                    

Book Source: Review copy from the author
My Rating ⭐⭐⭐

Expected publication: November 25th 2020
Genre: Horror
Buy From: Amazon UK | Amazon USA

๐Ÿ“—The Blurb


What excruciating tortures await them within Breakspear Hall?

Simone and her brother are con-artists. They target the rich and corrupt, making them pay for their crimes. One night, after pursuing a mark to a casino, Simone is attacked on the street. In the aftermath, the two siblings find themselves spirited towards Breakspear Hall. A gothic mansion whose master has tried everything to keep visitors out.

From her first glance of this dark, foreboding building, Simone knows it could spell doom for both of them…

Within the walls is a history of demonic rituals and human sacrifice. Yet, if the house welcomes you, it’s a home which can offer your greatest desires and ensure every darkest craving can be sated. Although as it does, it elicits a terrible price. One which will drain away your soul and leave you a broken husk.

However, it’s when you try to leave that it inflicts its most appalling punishment.

Trapped inside, Simone knows she has to save herself and her brother. But what can she possibly do against the unspeakable evil of Breakspear Hall?

๐Ÿ“˜The Author


F.R. Jameson was born in Wales, but now lives in London with his wife and young daughter. He writes both historical thrillers and supernatural thrillers.

His books are, at the moment, mostly sorted into two different - but complementary - series. The first, 'Screen Siren Noir', currently comprises of three novels: 'Diana Christmas', 'Eden St. Michel' and 'Alice Rackham'. All of which tell the stories of beautiful British film stars caught up in Noir tales of blackmail, obsession, scandal and death. He is currently working on both the fourth and fifth books in the series.

The second series is more disturbing and scary, and lives under the moniker: 'Ghostly Shadows'. There are four novellas published: 'Death at the Seaside', 'Certain Danger', 'Won't You Come and Save Me, Oh Soldier' and 'Call of the Mandrake'. Each book is its own disturbing piece of brilliant British horror.

He is claustrophobic and has a grave aversion to olives, but in real life is probably not as dark and twisted as his fiction would lead you to believe.

Author Links: Website | Twitter